IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Echoes of "Giving"


I have been so despondent about the season and my lack of Christmas cheer. I was thinking about my son and his girlfriend. They're staying in a garage at her dad's house, which is not insulated and using electric blankets for warmth. She feels her mom's departed spirit in the house and doesn't do well with her father, hence the garage.
Yes, folks, it's a long story. My son collects broken people like I collect antique glassware. He loves her dearly although she is unmedicated and needs to be!
So we decided that we have to have them with us, at least at Christmas. I can't stand the thought of them all by themselves, no money, no cheer or warmth. Yes, some of it's self-induced but as long as they're sober, we can lend a hand. The true lesson of Christmas is in the giving of yourself. We talked about helping out at the homeless shelter but my back won't allow me to stand for more than fifteen minutes without hollering, and it dawned on me. Charity does begin at home, after all. We can reach out to our own hurting flesh and blood and offer ourselves.

No comments: