IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, July 30, 2007

Deep Thoughts for Deep Days

This was one of those "rainy day" kind of days; introspective and weepy. The kind of day that will pass and be bright and sunny tomorrow but needs attention today. I found some quotes that were intriguing and pertain to a thought I was given by someone special: "Do Not Ever Let Anyone Steal Your Joy." It's a powerful statement because it contains truth. Once we relinquish our ability to be joyful in the present, we are allowing someone to have power over us. In order to remain in control of our lives we must not allow anyone to take our joy from us.

I worked for a woman who delighted in controlling everyone who worked under her and making us all joyless. I gave her permission to steal my joy and I was miserable for it. When I told her I had accepted a new position, she slammed back in her chair and said, "You didn't tell me you were interviewing!" I looked her square in the eye and said, "No, I didn't have to." POWER. Small bits and pieces, I know but I have always been so timid in the face of authority. I walked out of her office on a cloud. I wasn't rude or improper - I was honest! I remained in charge and it was a new feeling entirely!

Tools for living, they are just building blocks, but if we apply them properly, our journey is a lot easier.

Inner Journey*
Refuse to be a victim
"We focus on the negatives, losing ourselves in the ‘problem.’ We point to our unhappy circumstances to rationalize our negative feelings. This is the easy way out. It takes, after all, very little effort to feel victimized."
-- Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

Nothing and no one can make us a victim. We do it to ourselves when we allow external circumstances to hold power over us.
Although we have no control over what happens to us, we ALWAYS have a choice in how we respond. We hold our power when we accept complete responsibility for our thoughts, feelings and actions.

"A man may fall many times but he won't be a failure until he says someone pushed him."
-- Elmer G. Letterman


"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed."
-- Steven Biko

*From Higherawareness.com

4 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i need to take this advice. thanks honey...

smiles, bee

Constance said...

Gracie,
I am glad to be in a position to understand this, rather than being crushed by it as I would have been 9 months ago. Time and awareness does heal, and bring power and joy back with it !
Thanks Gracie....Good post.

Linda said...

These are some excellent words of wisdom that I think we all need to be reminded of from time to time. There are so many people who take pleasure in taking pleasure away from others and that's just a sad, sad thing.

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Gracie. How are you? Sorry haven't visited in a while.

It's a rainy Tuesday evening here. I've been feeling a little sentimental. Rain does that to me sometimes.

This is a good post. I like that line, "Do Not Ever Let Anyone Steal Your Joy." I easily get affected by people's words but I realize that happiness can be sought within and should not be easily drawn away by anybody.