IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, January 28, 2008

Weather Rant

Photo By ozimagebylen on Flickr

Wind. The one weather element I detest. No, I hate. The wind blew here for four straight days, bringing with it dirt, dust and flying debris. We actually had wind gusts of up to 69 mph!!!

I watched as the tar paper from our back patio cover tore off and flew down the street, landing in a neighbor's flower bed. Our lamppost at the curb was thrashed, with the top all askew, the windows broken out and the light bulb blinking because it had actually loosened. Last night, I couldn't sleep because I could hear the clatter of shutters being ripped off and awnings repelling down the hill. I felt like I was in Kansas and Toto and I were going places.

And today my head felt like the size of Charlie Brown's, full of nasty stuff. The Neti Pot has been doing wonders for me and my chronic sinusitis but with the air full of dust, it's been impossible to keep from having things go haywire inside my skull. And of course, the dust permeates the house and if I dust or vacuum, guess what happens!

The weather forecast for today, which has been posted since Friday, was for 100% chance of rain. Pretty obvious, right? We were in for one heck of a rainstorm! I could hardly wait because it would clean up all of the dust on the trees, shrubs and rooftops. Hah! Did it rain? Maybe ten drops total.

Makes me totally wonder why so many people believe in global warming when the weather guys can't get it straight. Could it be that someone stands to get rich with all the "carbon footprints?"
Just a thought. By the way, I'm going to bed because my head is killing me.

4 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

Wow - that was one windy weather rant! Sorry to hear about all the damage, and you're right - a good rain would certainly have helped!
Glad the Neti Pot helps though, when I get some $, I'm gonna have to get one of those before allergy season starts here!

Travis Cody said...

I detest wind also. I can deal with just about anything else but that.

Hang in there!

Smalltown RN said...

I haven't been around in a very long time.....the wind....we get terrible wind storms here as well....being on the westcoast the storms blow in from the Pacific...power outages are common and trees being down is the norm....I too hate the dust but we generally get rain with our storms...the dust comes in the spring and summer....acutally all year and with my allergies I am dusting and vacumming all the time...

Chin up...this to shall pass.....I hope....

Desert Songbird said...

I'm sorry about your wind. We got rain ALL DAY Sunday; in fact, it started Saturday night. I love the rain since we don't get it often, but it rained so much, everything is flooding.

Sigh.

Wind, though - ick.