IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - More Phobias!

I started this list a few weeks ago. Here are some more of mankind's deepest fears:
(Please feel free to add your comments about your fears...)

Androphobia: Fear of men -
While not generally fearful of men, there are a few I've given wide berth!!!
Anthropophobia: Fear of human companionship -
I'm pretty solitary. Lots of people scare me to death!
Bathophobia: Fear of deep places -
Claire should be very happy this doesn't affect her; otherwise, she couldn't have gone spelunking!
Gynephobia: Fear of women -
Just one: the Wicked Witch of the North that I had the pleasure of working for. And when I finally stood up to her - the fear vanished!
Hedonophobia: Fear of pleasure -
Weird...can't even imagine!
Hypengyophobia: Fear of responsibility -
My kids all went through this one at about age 15...
Hypnophobia: Fear of sleep -
I have insomnia. Does that count???
Nyctophobia: Fear of night or darkness -
I had "night frights" as a child and had to sleep with a light on but not as an adult. Once in awhile, if something spooks me and I'm by myself, I can still feel the hairs on the back of my neck waving in the breeze.
Pathophobia: Fear of disease -
Only radiation sickness!
Pediophobia: Fear of children or dolls -
Ill behaved children and old dolls give me the willies. Where do clowns fall? I hate clowns!
Scopophobia: Fear of being stared at -
When I wore my first two-piece bathing suit at the beach when I weighed 120#; later in life, it was when I weighed 269 and wore a tent!
Tocophobia: Fear of childbirth -
Not until I had my first child!
Triskaidekaphobia: Fear of the number thirteen -
This has crept into society since there is no 13th floor designated in a high rise building. Silly...That's like one of Empress Bee's Blond jokes - there's still a 13th floor!!!
Here's the link for Thursday Thirteen!

18 comments:

Malcolm said...

This was a unique TT. I am glad that you were able to stand up to the Wicked Witch of the North.

Anonymous said...

Interesting list. I enjoyed reading it.

Bloggers said...

That was great!!

Fear of the number 13!!

My 13 is up !

http://momworksathome.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Interesting list. I have several irrational fears - tornadoes and nuclear war to name two.

I come from a long line of worriers who worry about not having anything to worry about...if you catch my drift.

Mia Celeste said...

Wow, what a great idea for 13 things! I'm impressed!

Maggie Moo said...

Fear of children OR dolls? That's weird...LOL.

Qtpies7 said...

I do actually have arachnopobia! Spiders and ticks send me screaming and crying.

Very cool!
I have 13 awesome blog contests to enter!

Denise Patrick said...

Very interesting TT! I have never liked being stared at either, but I don't consider it a fear.

Happy TT!

Linda said...

What's the phobia for fear of not being able to pronounce all these phobias?

erin said...

I can't imagine being afraid of sleep or pleasure! Great list! Mine's a movie list. Happy TT!

Mo and The Purries said...

commentophobia: the fear lurkers have in leaving a comment on blogs

Deb said...

Wow, I'd never heard of most of those - very interesting! :)

Mitchypoo said...

I think I share some of these, and have some others of my own, such as a fear of being isolated, such as on a cruise, and you can't see land. Happy TT!

Ron Simpson said...

helenologophobia. Fear of greek words.

Sandee said...

Well this is a great list of fears isn't it? Yikes, there are many I hadn't heard of like fear of men. Bwahahaha. Great list and have a great TT Gracie. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not scared of ill behaved children. I just think they should be locked away somewhere.

Clickin Mama J said...

That's a great list. Luckily I don't have any of those phobias. Happy TT!

carrie said...

Coulrophobia - abnormal or exaggerated fear of clowns....

Just thought I'd share ;) I like the list...I'm not too afraid of much of anything to be honest!