IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, November 19, 2007

Recipe for Brandied Peaches

After writing my MM post, I got to wondering about the actual receipe so I went online to find one similar to hers. Like I said, hers were maroon or deep pink. I don't know if she added food coloring or not. A note to all of us: While our relatives are still living, ask them these things. It's impossible to replicate otherwise. Wish I'd thought ahead.

Here's what I found:

RECIPE FOR BRANDIED PEACHES:

1 peck peaches (a peck is equal to 8 dry quarts)
1 quart brandy
1 x sugar ( looked up the "x" and couldn't find an equivelent, but another online recipe shows
1 lb. sugar per pound of peaches)
2 tbs. cloves
2 lg. cinnamon sticks

Directions:
Skin peaches by pouring boiling water over a few at a time and allowing to stand a few minutes. Then dip in cold water and skins will rub off. After peaches have been skinned, measure them and use one half of their weight in sugar. Have a large, clean, covered stone crock and put in a layer of peaches and a layer of sugar until all ingredients are used. Pour the brandy over the layers. Cover the crock with a heavy piece of white muslin before placing on the top of the crock. Set aside in a cool place and allow peaches to stand 2 to 3 months before using.
(I don't know about you guys, but I "peel" my peaches. Skinning sounds so, well, can you be cruel to a peach? And I know my grandmother kept hers for a year - I remember her telling me.)

5 comments:

Jeff B said...

Sound tasty.

Thanks for comming by my site. I enjoyed reading through some of your posts as well.

Sarge Charlie said...

that sounds like a potent peach, I have had pickled peaches but never had a brandy peach.

Sarge Charlie said...

do you know you have something set to prevent your blog from showing up in the readers?

Gledwood said...

lovely ... haha!!

;->...

Anonymous said...

Oh those sound soooo very yummy! thanks for sharing this recipe!