IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, November 19, 2007

Manic Monday - Relish

(Visit Jannagraphics for many more ideas!)
When I hear the word "relish," the first thing I think about is that stuff people slather on their hot dogs, my hubman included. It's a tad too sweet for me, but if it's combined with onions and mustard, I can handle it. But after thinking about it for a while, what comes to mind is my Grandmother and the wonderful side dish relishes she fixed. She made the best brandied peaches I've ever eaten.

Gee, I don't think I've ever had brandied peaches except for hers! Anyway, they were to die
for. My mom and dad always laughed at this good Baptist lady, who was a teetotaler, sending her husband off to the liquor store to buy the brandy for her! I guess it was okay to send him to hell...
Anyway, the process took a year. It started with canned peaches, tons of mysterious spices and that luscious brandy. She had a special crock that she used to pickle them and it didn't get opened for one year. I think they appealed to me because they were a maroon color and I was allowed to eat as many as I wanted. And they had soaked in brandy! Wickedly good...
~Join in on Mo's Original Manic Monday fun~

13 comments:

Linda said...

My former grandmother-in-law in California sounds just like yours except she made a brandied fruit mixture and not just peaches. Yummy!

Have a fantastic Monday!

Ian said...

I've never had brandied peaches.

Ian

Anonymous said...

Brandied peaches... those and spiced peaches. Forgot about them...

Hmmmm.....

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

funny how we remember things our grandma did. mine was a yankee! ha ha ha...

smiles, bee

maryt/theteach said...

The brandied peaches sound very delicious! Enjoy them at Thanksgiving!

come visit me at Work of the Poet

Durward Discussion said...

All of us of a certain age knew women who canned. They were treasures and in these days of all the foods that are bad for you, maybe we had better start again.

I have a canned relish on my site that is fairly simple and not sweet.

katherine. said...

wow...I haven't even THOUGHT of brandied peaches in years. I hope when I'm a Gramma I create these kind of memories....

Sandee said...

Never had brandied peaches either. I'm not a brandy fan, so I probably wouldn't care for them. I can see you relish them though. Have a great MM Gracie. :)

Anonymous said...

ooh, brandied peaches sound divine!! YUM. Have a wonderful Monday, Grace.

Travis Cody said...

I've never had brandied peaches. In fact, I don't think I've ever had brandied anything.

Happy MM!

Desert Songbird said...

I've never heard of brandied peaches either, but I'm not sure I would have wanted to wait a full year!

Gledwood said...

Relish is good on bbq'd hamburgers tho!

;->...

Anonymous said...

It's funny how our tastes differ. I never liked those brandied peaches!

My favorite was her Strawberry Rhubarb Pie! She tried to teach me to make pies, but I just could never get it right! Thank goodness for Marie Callender.

The other granddaughter,

Lynne