IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, January 26, 2009

Manic Monday - Snow


SNOW - Hawai'ian Style!!!

Living in central California for almost 40 years, I've only seen snow here on the valley floor twice, the kind that sticks! We're surrounded by mountains, including the range through which the infamous Grapevine (the part of Hwy 99 that goes to L.A.) traverses. In snowy weather it is often closed, making travel from the north to the south a real mess, especially for the truckers.
One year, the weather was horrible and caused people to become stranded up on the ridge. People couldn't get off the road and had no food, etc. So an enterprising young grocery truck driver opened up the truck and started passing out vittles. Guess what - he got fired for it!
So many people complained that his company had to reinstate him or risk more than just egg on their face. And it made a great human interest story!

I commiserate with you folks who get stuck with snow so many months of the year but it is a wonderful sight for those of us who can view from afar!

Please stop by and see more snow stuff at
Manic Monday, hosted by Morgen

9 comments:

Polly said...

That waterfall is so beautiful! That's where I'd like to be.
I'm so glad that people let their voices be heard and saved that guy's job. The store could just write it off as a donation anyway!

Anonymous said...

Gracie, I agree with you 110%. I think snow is beautiful but too much of a good thing is, well...just too much of good thing! *LOL* Luckily when we get it here, it's never here long.
Manic Monday ~ Southern Snow

bv said...

Love the human interest story! I can't believe that they would fire someone for such a thing in the first place!!!

LAC said...

Beautiful waterfall... very serene.

Durward Discussion said...

There's nothing quite like getting stranded in Gorman waiting for the Highway Patrol to put a lead car out to lead you down one side or the other.

Desert Songbird said...

Liquid snow is the best kind, but I don't mind it when it's on the mountains and I can look up at it.

Travis Cody said...

That waterfall is gorgeous.

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Plenty of snow here and we're expecting more. I always hope for just a dusting that makes the scenery pretty but melts on the roads or a blizzard so no one is expected to go anywhere anyway.

Sandee said...

I'm so with you on this one. I am not a snow person, and living in Hawaii would suit me just fine. I'm a fair weather kind of gal.

I'd not heard the truck driver story, but he did the right thing. Good for him.

Have a terrific day honey. Big hug. :)