IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, July 28, 2008

Me Big Game Hunter...



The Girls, formally known as Katie and Zoe, started barking like mad tonight. They zipped out the doggie door and into the backyard on a mission. Hubman went out to see what was happening, and low and behold, a baby 'possum was hiding underneath a potted plant! The girls were going nuts trying to get to him. We locked them in the house and got a flashlight to check it out. He looked like a large kitten, not full grown. We lifted the planter and he scooted back a few feet into a flower bed, where thankfully, he rested for a few then took off, hopefully to mama's shelter.

I'm one of these weirdos that has an affinity with wildlife. I actually like and encourage it! We have a resident Blue Jay (Scrub Jay - no topknot), whom I named Leno. I'm trying to get him to take a peanut from my hand. Takes patience but we're working on it. I hate to see critters forced out due to overbuilding. Since the field behind us has been turned into a residential area, a lot of wildlife has been run out. Personally, I like 'possums. I'm not turned off by their rodent-like appearance. I think they're cute!


Opossum Facts - America's Only Marsupial

OpossumOpossums are among the most primitive mammals. Fossil ancestry goes back 70 Million years. They have survived by adapting to human habitat and being able to eat just about anything. They are beneficial in that they help to keep the balance of nature.
Opossums are often mistaken for rats. They are not rodents, they are marsupials. They are not aggressive toward humans or pets but they will attempt to defend themselves if cornered. They are relatively disease free. They do not carry Parvo virus, distemper or rabies. They are actually an excellent animal to have around your property because they eat rats, mice, snails, slugs and insects. They also eat over ripe fruit that has fallen to the ground. They are called "omnivores" because they meat as well as vegetables and fruit.
Opossums are nest builders. They are also nocturnal. They spend much of the day in their dens. At night, they forage for food. They are excellent climbers using all their hands, feet and tail to grasp.

5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

did you name him yet? you could do a blog on his daily adventures! ha ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Sandee said...

We had a possum here a couple of weeks ago. Our dog got to him before we knew there was a possum. The possum is no more. Had we known we would have prevented its demise. I'm on the same page as you with our wildlife. Have a great day Gracie. Big hug and lotsa lovies. :)

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Great to hear from you. I wish I was back in OK for August. We aren't too far off from the prison. I assumed she worked there and wasn't a resident but I'm glad you clarified. I can't help but think about the William Shatner possum from Over the Hedge.

Anonymous said...

Your dog is just so cute!Hope you're enjoying your day!

Heart of Rachel said...

I admire your concern for the wildlife. It's sad when some animals are forced out of their natural habitat.