IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, May 30, 2011

In Memory of Robby


This Memorial Day is far different than those of years ago.  This one is personal although it was not through an act of war.  We've met some wonderful young men and women who serve our country as they came to the service for Robby.

There was a group of 12 out on a sunny day riding their motorcycles.  I didn't know this until Friday as I thought he was alone when he died.  This gives all of us a lot of peace knowing he was surrounded by his best buddies.  We got to spend a lot of time over the past few days with these young men.  We broke bread together, laughed together and you bet, cried together.  Our country is in good hands.

This is the tribute I wrote for his On-line Obituary.  If any of you would like to post a comment, the link is on my Facebook page.  Again, thanks so much for your prayers, support and well-wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life sometimes hands us such sadness we think we will break under the sheer weight of it. Death reaches out to wrench from us our very hearts, but we must keep going. There's no rest for this, no stopping. 

My children have been given the saddest of all tasks; losing a son. My heart has broken watching them as they grieve his loss, but the love they have for each other will help them endure it. 

My sweet Robby has touched so many lives and hearts. He had so many wonderful friends who will keep his memory alive. They'll relive the goofy things they did and treasure each joke, each moment of laughter a thousand times, repeated through time... The young men and women with whom he served his country - his brothers and sisters at arms - they'll remember all of the days spent abroad in places they'll never forget nor want to return to. Some will return willingly because they love this country and are so very willing to give it all they have, in some cases, their lives. We honor you.

I was able to share some very special moments of time - too fleeting - with Robby a few months ago. Just watching his expressions as he talked, the spark in his eyes, his willingness to share with me his thoughts as he talked about his future and which path he would take, and how much he loved being with "the guys." Robby had an enormous capacity for love. He was always prepared to give of it freely and without conditions. That is a gift. My grandson occupies a place in my heart that I will treasure as long as I walk this earth.

Here is a gift to all of you from the one who gives us peace: "Let us, therefore, come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." --- Hebrews 4:16

9 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

I cried with you again today.

Traveling Bells said...

Beautiful tribute, Gracie, for a very fine young man. My heart is aching for you and yours. It truly is. Stay strong.

May God's peace and love help heal your heartache.

Sisterly hugs from me to you...

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh honey i am also so glad he was not alone... this is beautiful, this tribute to your hero...

hugs, bee
xoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Well said, Gracie... Holding you close to my heart.... HUGS

Desert Songbird said...

Memorial Day is about all of the fallen, regardless of how they fell. I hope that your family can find some peace, knowing that your grandson served admirably and courageously. I thank your family for his service and his sacrifice.

Linda said...

What a beautiful tribute to your beloved grandson whom I have no doubt is watching over you from above.

It's very comforting to know that he was with his friends when tragedy struck. I, too, thought he had been alone and that just made the news hurt even worse.

God bless those young men and women that Robby served with and may He keep them safe.

CrAzY Working Mom said...

It is a beautiful tribute, Gracie. I hope that you and the family are doing well and that The Lord's comfort is embracing you all!!

Regina said...

This was a beautiful tribute for the one who will always occupy that place in your heart and waits for you! A beautiful verse. So glad you and your family had this needed time of fellowship and those touching moments you spent with Robby. My thoughts are with you~

Levon said...

Dear Miss Gracie:

Excuse me for not being in touch for a long time. Some family issues came up that I needed to address. Enough of that for now - this message is for you,
I am sorry to hear of Robby's death. From your previous posts, I know what a place of pride he holds in your and your husband's hearts well as those of his parents and other family and friends. I pray that time will bring healing and that the love and life you gave Robby may bring you strength and sustenance.

I am not the type of person who lives his life by song lyrics. However, music like other forms of art help bring expression of our experience, essence, etc. So, I would like to share with you the following tunes that have brought and continue to bring me much solace. One tune is Karla Bonoff's "Good-bye My Friend," and the other is Bruce Cockburn's "Closer to the Light."
I pray for all of you and ask God to enfold all of you in his abiding love and peace.

Levon