IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, March 26, 2007

I Wuz Tagged!


I've been tagged by Ron Simpson for an interesting meme. You're to name seven of the songs you're currently listening to and then tag seven more people! I'm a music lover and a very eclectic one, at that - as you'll see. To keep from spending too much time on this, I simply picked the top seven CD's (yes, CD's - I'm a dinosaur) off the stack. Here they are:

1. Lou Rawls - I first heard him sing years ago on the Johnny Carson show. This CD is one I ordered recently. It's "Black and Blue," and "Tobacco Road." The man had one of the most pure voices with just a hint of rough-around-the-edges quality to it. I love the blues and this is like the blues with big band sound so it's not for purists. I especially like "Tobacco Road," "Stormy Weather," and "Sentimental Journey."
2. "The Best of Dire Straights and Mark Knopfler" - My hubman plays the guitar. He has a Martin acoustic, a Fender strat, a Fender "knock-off" that he made himself from maple. I have always liked hard-pounding guitar with a little "dirty" in it (distortion/fuzz). My son is a drummer, which is what I wanted to be and never understood why my dad put his foot down...It would be hard to pick a favorite on this one but I like "Calling Elvis," "Skateaway," and of course "Money for Nothing."
3. "Come Away With Me" - Norah Jones - I just like her effortless, velvety voice. The title song, "Come Away With Me," "Cold, Cold, Heart," and "Lonestar," are among my favorites. She puts me in a mood to sit back, close my eyes and float.
4. "Sacred, Los Lonely Boys" - This is a nice, edgy, crisp sound. They've got a real tight harmony in their vocals, great lead guitarist with sweet harmonic rifts. "Oye Mamacita," has the old East Whittier sound to my ear; "I Never Met a Woman," needs to be listened to with a Margarita, your special someone and a dance floor nearby; "Texican Style," makes me want to dance (and I can't so they know their stuff!)!
5. "Little Big House" - This is another one with that edgy sound to it. I don't like country but I hate rap so I've been listening to some of the C&W with a rock sound to it. LBH has the most beautiful harmony! I sang with a group for 10-12 years (A Capella) and good, tight harmony puts chills up and down my spine, so I'm very partial to groups like this. They've got a lot of the elements I love. We just about wore out their last CD, this is their first. "Pontiac," "Somewhere Far Away," and "From the Dream," are my favorites on this one...
6. "Amore" - Andrea Bocelli - Andrea makes Pavoratti sound like a braying donkey. His voice is so clear and effortless. The high notes slip out with ease and are incredibly sweet. "Les Feuilles Mortes," (Autumn Leaves) has a different meaning to it now that I'm in the early autumn of my life. I used to sing this song when I was very young and didn't understand it. This version is poignant and bittersweet. "Juarme" has a flaminco flavor, impossible not to tap your toe! "Can't Help Falling in Love," is sung live from Las Vegas. This is my very favorite song that Elvis ever sang and Andrea does it justice in his own style.
7. "City of Angels" - This is the soundtrack of a movie with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan. I loved the movie and the songs were wonderful. U2 is one of my all time favorite groups. Alanis Morissette's "Uninvited" absolutely takes me to another place every time I hear it. The passion in this song almost turns me into a head-banger! It is so "other-worldly." Then you've got Jimi Hendrix' "Red House," Paula Cole with "Feelin' Love is another favorite. It's got what I call a "traveling bass;" and John Lee Hooker - one of the all time best blues players; Sara McLachlan's "Angel, the reason I think I have every one of her CD's! And then there's the "Goo Good Dolls, "Iris." Who doesn't love Peter Gabriel? "I Grieve" is powerful! Another ethereal mix of anguish; followed by Jude's, "I Know." Eric Clapton plays "Further on Up the Road," which is a classic! You have to go some to beat Clapton! I was around for "Cream!" Gabriel Yared finishes out this set with four more, including the title song. Highly recommend this CD!

I didn't intend to make this such a long post but it's music! You just can't cut corners, especially when you're sitting here listening to Eric Clapton! This has made my day brighter...Thanks, Ron!

To be diverse, I'm gonna tag
Desert Songbird because she's our songbird and I know she's a rocker, too, and sings in church; Morgen, because I don't have a clue what kind of music he likes, and would like to know; Loving Annie, she is our softer side, I'm just curious to see what's on her list; Sarge Charlie, because he's from the 60's...let's see if he likes Hendrix or Welk \(;^>) - Empress Bee, see if she and Sarge Charlie dance to the same tune; and Skittles, let's see if her tunes are mellow, rowdy, or a combo; Heart of Rachel, to get a different national perspective.

18 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh no..... does talk radio count? ha ha ha....

smiles, bee

Constance said...

Hi Gracie !!! Oh this is going to be a tough one... Okay, I'll go for it !
1. Moon River by Andy Williams
2. Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra
3. Summer of '42 theme song - soundtrack by Michael Legrand
4. Ballad of John and Yoko by The Beatles
5. Crazy by Patsy Kline
6. Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin
7. Shall We Dance from The King and I soundtrack with Gertrude Lawrence

Constance said...

Gracie,
I'm embarrased to say that I don't know any of your seven picks... I listen to music so seldom anymore, and I am so unfamilar with many of the 'modern' artists...

Heart of Rachel said...

Thanks for the tag Gracie. I also love Nora Jones' Come Away with Me. Wanted to upload it on my blog but couldn't find any mp3 codes for it.

I'll do this meme soon.

Take care and have a lovely week ahead.

Travis Cody said...

Yes, this is an eclectic list. And I enjoy most of what you have here too.

Los Lonely Boys is one of my current favorites.

And I agree!!! It's music!!! The post should be as long as the post needs to be when we're talking music!

Desert Songbird said...

Gracie! I was tagged by someone else, and as I was putting together my post, you were putting up yours and tagging me!

Argh!

Mine's up, and you're right: I'm a rocker. I didn't include any gospel or contemporary Christian music this time, though.

whimsical brainpan said...

Dire Straits rules!

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi again Gracie. I'm finished with mine. Just posted it a while ago.

Akelamalu said...

Good choices, especially Andrea Bocelli.

Sarge Charlie said...

OK, I did it, come take a look.

Mo and The Purries said...

Okay, Gracie - my music meme is up @ It's A Blog Eat Blog World!

Sandee said...

Hi Amazing Gracie, Great job on the songs. I love the oldies too. This must be tag Tuesday. Almost every blog I have visited this morning has been tagged. Have a great day.

Ron Simpson said...

a girl once told me that Bocelli has a voice like an orgasm. Well at least for women.

Linda said...

I absolutely love the soundtrack to City of Angels - there's some great stuff on there! And Lou Rawls, how could you NOT like Lou Rawls? What a velvety voice!

You had some really good choices here!

Nikki Neurotic said...

U2 is one of my favorite bands as well...though, I prefer their 80's stuff to their more modern albums.

I'd love to get my hands on the City of Angels soundtrack, as well as the Norah Jones album.

Queenie said...

Love your music, some how thought Chasing cars would be there....

Katie said...

great meme Grace! :)

Unknown said...

Great choices, Gracie! I love the "City Of Angels" OST - especially Uninvited and Iris =)