IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, March 05, 2007

Manic Monday - Blow


(Unknown author)
Simple Version:
Down in the valley, valley so low
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow
Hear the wind blow, dear, hear the wind blow
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew
Angels in heaven know I love you
Know I love you, dear, know I love you
Angels in heaven, know I love you.

Writing this letter, containing three lines
Answer my question, "Will you be mine?"
"Will you be mine, dear, will you be mine?"
Answer my question, "Will you be mine?"

Down in the valley, valley so low
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow
Hear the wind blow, dear, hear the wind blow
Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.

Hang your head over, hear the wind blow.
*****************
This should be entitled "Melancholy Monday." Ever since I found out what the subject was, I haven't been able to get this tune out of my head. I researched the lyrics and found out that there are several different versions, this being one of the latest. The older version has lyrics "hear the train blow," and was written by a prisoner in the "Birmingham Jail." I'm sure that probably triggers memories for some of you. I had completely forgotten that version!
But it's a sad, haunting little song either way...and it captured my heart for today's meme.
The painting is an original, one I did in class a couple of years ago in about two hours. I've never been satisfied with it and for some reason, it never got packed away...but it does show that the wind has blown the little tree until it's permanently bent, just as life has done to most of us.

14 comments:

Gattina said...

I know that the wind will blow ! Actually it blows already and quite strong ! I hate wind since 3 trees of our garden dropped on the street because of a storm ! You are so romantic this morning, lol !
I think you were linked to my cat blog (you a very welcome) but my main blog where you can read my contribution to the manics on monday is "Writer Cramps"

Crazy Working Mom said...

Wow, what a BEAUTIFUL painting. You are very talented. :)
Thanks for sharing.
Happy Monday!

Durward Discussion said...

Sometimes the beauty is in the shapes formed by being blown by great winds. Look at your lovely tree being created and the Monterey pines that face the winds of the open seas.

Constance said...

Ah Gracie... That is sad...
We all start out so hopeful, young and strong and sure saplings, and life does have a way of blowing us hither and thither and often almost breaking our spirits completely...

I pray for you and resiliency for you, and that the wind lessen to a gentle stirring of the air..

Thinking of you, Gracie, and sending you best wishes that the house sells soon as you wish it to...

Were they Monterey pines in your pretty painting ? I LOVE Pebble Beach/Monterey/Carmel the very most of anywhere in California !!!

katherine. said...

I do like your painting! "Permanently bent...just as life as done to most of us"...that will stick with me today.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

You painted this picture!! I would be so proud of this!! It is beautiful!! I always wished that I could paint. OUr son used to draw really well but then got into computers and does not do thing free hand anymore which I think is such a waste. He was so good. Take care and thanks for praying for our trip. We will be needing it for sure. Sandy

Desert Songbird said...

Nice painting - I like it!

I was singing along with that song as I was reading the lyrics. I don't even remember how long ago I learned it, but it seems like one I've known all along.

Some of these Manic Monday themes do that - get something stuck in your head, and try as you might, you can't get rid of it.

Great job!

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Gracie. That's a really beautiful painting. You're very talented. Thanks for sharing it.

So true, life's experiences sometimes leave permanent changes in us.

It's a brand new week. Wishing you a wonderful and stress-free week ahead. God bless.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

A few songs came to my mind for "blow", but I had forgotten about this one. Thanks for the memory.

I think it's a beautiful picture and am very impressed that you painted it yourself. I am very talented and creative in different ways, but drawing is not one of them... and the only thing I can paint is a wall.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Katie said...

Gracie! I love the painting! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Barb said...

I remember singing that as a child at family camping trips!

And that is ONE BEAUTIFUL PAINTING!!!

whimsical brainpan said...

Gracie that painting is awesome!

Unknown said...

Dang... I have not thought of that song for years. I think I shall see if I can find a good recording of it and listen to it.

Thanks.

Good Post.

Later Y'all

Travis Cody said...

Wonderful combination of the art of the brush with the art of the word.

Thanks for stopping by my place today!