IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Saturday Photo Hunters - Salty



My favorite drink has got to be a Margarita. Nothing goes better with a bowl of fresh corn chips and guacamole than an iced cold Margarita. I usually order a Cadillac - I don't care for the other fruit-flavored varieties. They fall more in the Daiquiri family to my way of thinking. I prefer the frozen kind even though the review below explains how it dilutes the liquor.

Sit back, close your eyes, forget about winter blues and sip a Margarita in your dreams...

The review is from "Miss Charming," and for more following the link:

The basics of a
Margarita are simple: Tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice. However, due to America's sweet tooth, sugar has been added in recent decades. Variations are endless. You can use different Tequilas (Jose Cuervo, Cabo Wabo, etc.), different orange liqueurs (triple sec, Cointreau, etc.), and different sweet-n-sour mixes (the lime and the sugar). You can also substitute the orange liqueur for other flavored liqueurs like melon liqueur for a Melon Margarita or Chambord for a Raspberry Margarita, etc. Lots of people ask me about triple sec. Triple sec is an orange liqueur made from the skin of oranges that are called triple oranges.Got it? FYI--Blue Curacao (cure-uh-SOW, rhymes with cow) is an orange liqueur that is colored blue, so you can substitute it for the triple sec in a recipe to make a Blue Margarita.

Tips for Margaritas

• If you're not sure if someone wants their glass rimmed with salt or not, just rim half of it. • The best Margaritas are made with homemade sweet-n-sour mix. Find out how to make it here. • When you order a Margarita don't just say, "I'll take a Margarita, please". This will instantly let them know that you don't know anything about Margaritas. Always order it like; "I'll take a Margarita on the rocks with salt" or "I'll take a frozen Cuervo Margarita without salt", etc. • Do not ever order the Margarita "on special". Chances are they have mass produced it with very little alcohol. If you call out your Tequila then they will have to make it from scratch. • Try not to order frozen or blended Margaritas. Ice is just water that gets diluted in the whole blending process and it waters down all the flavor. If you do insist on having a frozen Margarita, simply order it to be blended as a virgin Margarita then pour the alcohol on top. You will not regret it! • Know that there are many that claim to be the inventor of the Margarita, ranging from the 1930s to the 1950s. When you think about it, it’s just a Daiquiri spin-off. • The Margarita is Mexico’s National drink. •As a bartender you will make thousands upon thousands of Margaritas.
•There are several stories about who invented the Margarita: 1. A bartender named it after a girl named Margarita. 2. A bartender named Daniel Negrete, Pancho Morales that worked at Tommy’s Place in Juarez. 3. A woman named Margarita Sames in Acapulco.

21 comments:

Viamarie said...

Thanks for sharing all that information.

Happy weekend!

Pat said...

Welcome to the photo hunt! I am not a drinking person, but if I were, I would have to try this!

Dayngr said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Waspgoddess said...

Oh yum, a Margarita with a salty rim is perfection. I raise my glass over here in England.

Have a lovely weekend :)

Andree said...

It looks good! I wonder if it is as good without liquor because I'd sure like to try it.

Hootin Anni said...

When I make mine....I add triple sec.

Yummy!!

Mine's posted this week...OLD SALTS

maiylah said...

would love to have one right now ... am parched! ;)
love the additional info, too! thanks!

Twisted Cinderella said...

What a great take on todays theme!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Hunt!

Great salty photo

A. said...

Looks wonderful. And the recipes sound wonderful too!

Cathy said...

I learned a thing or two about margaritas from your post. Thank you!

Sarah said...

Great photo, I have to say visiting other blogs is getting very educational, I've learnt a lot from this photo hunt!

Constance said...

Good Saturday morning, Grace !
You have turned ordering a margarita into an art form !
Enjoy with the corn chips and guacamole !

Desert Diva said...

I like my margaritas with Hornitos tequila and on the rocks. Welcome to the photo hunt and have a great weekend!

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Gracie. I love margaritas especially frozen margaritas. I refer to them as my soul drink. :)

Thanks for visiting me earlier. I appreciate all your wonderful insights.

srp said...

You certainly learn something every day here. I don't drink either, but this is a great photograph.
Welcome to the hunt.

Linda said...

I'm not posting a picture today but thought I would go 'round to some of my favorite blogs to check out their versions of salty and this one has my mouth watering! And not just the margarita but the thought of corn chips and guacomole really has me salivating!

What I would give for some authentic Mexican food right now but it's hard to come by here in cold Connecticut!

Katie said...

that sounds so good right now! I might have to make myself one...

TorAa said...

Tasty, yummy and salty. Great

Teena in Toronto said...

I'm on my way :)

Mine's up too :)

Desert Songbird said...

I always, always, always order my margaritas on the rocks with no salt. Living in the southwest, it's a staple drink, don'tcha know?

Ha! Great choice!