IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, January 08, 2007

My Horoscope...


I read my horoscope this morning and even though I believe them to be bunk, this one struck a nerve. Here it is:
"Speaking your mind sometimes is uncomfortable. Often, you worry more about others' feelings than your own. Start acting like you are just as important."
You know how it goes. One of your buddies at work comes up to you in this gawd-awful getup and asks if you don't just loooove it. Well, of course, you fudge a little. To not do so would be cruel and would ruin their day. I've been feeling just great and have someone ask me if I'm sick. Shoots the whole day right down the tubes, right? So a little fudging for friends' sake is good.
Some people compliment themselves for being honest when down deep I think they get a kick out of hurting people. I don't think honesty has a thing to do with it.
I never considered that the reason I hold back a lot of opinions may be because I worry that I'm not important enough to relay them. I know I hate confrontation and I feel deeply about a lot of things, so I tend to steer clear of controversial things (abortion, liberalism, Christianity) with people I know will be turned off by those topics. I will answer truthfully if questioned, though.
But when it comes to my family, I'm sure this is true. I have things I need to say and stay quiet because I'm so afraid of hurting feelings. Humans are SO complicated!

No comments: