IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Monday, April 09, 2007

Manic Monday - Snap


SNAP

Who can't remember Rice Crispies, "Snap, Crackle and Pop?" Whether they're in a bowl with milk and strawberries or baked into those Rice Crispies Treats, we've probably all had them! I like them as a kid but truthfully? I'll take Kashi as an adult!!!

THE ARTIST
James Michaels, American, Born 1945

Born in Brooklyn, James Michaels moved to the Tampa Bay area in 1971. In 1980, Michaels gave up a successful commercial art career to pursue a career in the fine arts.

His early paintings were classically realistic subjects, Native Americans and wildlife. But Michaels didn't feel challenged by them. It came too easy. Technically skilled, but needing to get in touch with his feelings, Michaels gave up the paintbrush and used his fingers to paint directly on the canvas. This exercise was a revelation and he no longer felt constrained to any preconceived notions of what painting should be.

In 1981, armed with paintings he really wanted to paint, in a style which began to show his emotions and insight as well as technical mastery, he started to win awards for his work. This culminated in 1986 with a national level fellowship, the AVA (Awards in the Visual Arts), which included a large cash prize and traveling exhibitions in New York, Cincinnati and California. In 1987, back problems seriously curtailed his painting production. After recovering, Michaels' work evolved into a more contemplative self-examining expressionistic approach. That style of painting led to a Gasparilla Best of Show award in 1990 and a one person show at the Tampa Museum of Art in 1992. In 1994, Michaels won a State of Florida Fellowship in painting.

14 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

mornin' gracie! just wanted to pop in and say goodbye and be back on friday. have a great week honey and i will miss you...

smiles, bee

Constance said...

Good Monday morning Gracie ! I just had a bowl yesterday ! I love them !
Great picture and description ! I didn't know the background/history !

Desert Songbird said...

I love Rice Krispie treats! We don't make there here, but I love the convenience of being able to buy them pre-packaged if I need them for school snacks.

Great "vintage" photo.

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Gracie, sorry I didn't get to wish you a happy Easter yesterday. The internet here isn't always consistent, and it shut down for the evening before I could get to you. I hope you had a wonderful day and that today is even better.

Danielle said...

Happy MM.

Rice Krispies popping up again. Thanks for the info.

Have a great day and be well

Crazy Working Mom said...

Hey Gracie! :)
Great minds think alike. I also chose Snap, Crackle, & Pop as my MM focus.

Happy Monday.

Mo and The Purries said...

due to my lactose intolerance, cereal as an adult isn't an option - but some rice krispie treats sound awesome right now!

Sandee said...

Hi Gracie - Great job. I did MM on the same subject. Hope your Easter weekend was wonderful.

Linda said...

Looks like you and the Crazy Working Mom think alike! And I'm still craving Rice Krispies!

whimsical brainpan said...

Interesting.

Callie Ann said...

Hi Gracie, Just poppin by to check on you girl.
Later, Callie Ann

Kimberley Robinson said...

Very interesting background of the artis. I never thought of making Kashi treats, I'm putting it on my to do list.

Travis Cody said...

Great post! I love the concept and the artwork.

I still enjoy the occasional bowl of Rice Krispies. But actually I prefer Special K or Wheaties when I have cereal most days.

Anonymous said...

Back Pain is a pain in my… well… back!
I was hit by a car a few years ago and since then I have suffered a lot of lower back pain and back ache! I was on strong painkillers for awhile but then I was getting addicted to them so had to drop them before it got too bad. That was about a year ago now and since then I have been looking for alternate ways of relieving the pain and aching until a month ago I was struggling to find anything that helped but I managed to get hold of a memory foam mattress and I finally got a good night’s sleep! It was great! memory foam mattresses support my back where its needed relieving the pain and relaxing the muscles. I’m moving in with my girlfriend and I’m thinking of buying a king size memory foam mattress which will help me sleep but I have a feeling that her snoring will keep me awake anyway!