IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

OUCH!

"This book covers all the hard to control ants including ghost ants, whitefooted ants, argentine ants, crazy ants, fire ants, carpenter ants, pharoah ants and many others. A must have for the homeowner and the professional pest control technician's library."

I was sitting here in my typically middle class recliner, checking out some blogs and all of a sudden, OUCH!!! My hand starting burning. It was a stinkin' little black ant! I smooshed him and before I could clean up his little ant carcass, OUCH! There was one of his brothers avenging his death. I smooshed his little ant butt, too, but all of a sudden I looked down and there were more of the pesky little buggers crawling on my hands, taking chunks out of me with their nasty little pincers. Dang! Where did they come from???

I got up from my comfortable typically middle class recliner and did my "Argh! Ants All Over Me" dance, brushing them off before they could do any more damage. I have been bitten by red ants that stung but black ants? This was new to me...They burned just as bad as a red ant bite and already were leaving little welts.

I realized that Zoe, our Mini-Schnauzer had been up in the chair with me for a while and she'd been in and out, so she must be the ant coyote, smuggling them in across the door jam. I guessed I'd better haul her off to the laundry room and give her coat a good going over. Now I'm going to be doing the "Ant Dance" all night!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've heard of Carpenter ants, Argentine ants, Fire ants - but what the heck is a Ghost ant or a Crazy aunt? Oops, that's Crazy ant! I think we've got a couple of "Crazy Aunts" on the family tree...
***Over the last few years reports have escalated of a golden-brown to reddish-brown "crazy ant" infesting properties in and around West Palm Beach, Florida. Thick foraging trails with thousands of ants occur along sidewalks, around buildings, and on trees and shrubs. Pest control operators using liquid and/or granular broad-range insecticides appear unable to control this nuisance ant.

7 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

A new kind of ant..GREAT just what we all need. I stopped by to see if you had done the meme that I tagged you for but not yet. Sandy

Liz Hinds said...

"A must-have for the home-owner"

Now I'm worried. It's like the advert on the television.

'Big day coming up? Worried about diarrhoea?'

Well, I wasn't, but now you mention it ...

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

hey! crazy ants??? yeesh, i thought all the fire ants we had were bad enough... that is one good thing about living on the 19th floor though, you don't get many ants!

smiles, bee

Desert Songbird said...

Dang it! I got the heebie jeebies just reading this!

Barb said...

I'd pay a dollar to see that dance!

Mo and The Purries said...

Stinging/biting ants are like other members of they hymenoptera family (bees & wasps) in that when one of the workers is smooshed, she releases pheremones that excite her sisters into stinging also. This is what makes Africanized honey bees so dangerous - they and fire ants take this to the extreme.
For future reference (not that there is a next time, I hope!) try scooping up the little buggers and putting them into a plastic or glass container (like using a piece of paper as a funnel to put into an empty water bottle) then put rubbing alcohol (or nail polish remover works good, too!) into the bottle to kill the little expletives deleted. That way, they're dead, but you're not alerting the whole colony to come and make war on your epidermis!

I'm just a font of weird knowledge, aren't I????

Travis Cody said...

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I'm having visions of being eaten alive by little ants!!

**does a full body shiver**

Yeesh - that just makes my skin crawl.