IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

One Kind Act Wednesday

This past Saturday, we trekked along with our realtor to look at mobile homes. At one in particular the lady that lived in the home was a very petite, older woman, surrounded by mementos of a lifetime. There were many family photos scattered about but everything was in it's place. She sat quietly in a chair as my husband and I invaded her living space.

I wondered what she must be thinking - leaving her home, as I am leaving mine. Was she as sad as I am or was she headed somewhere she truly wanted to be? As we were leaving, I stopped to thank her for her time and asked her if she'd lived there very long. She answered, "Twenty six years." I wished I hadn't asked but she proceeded to tell me that her daughters live in Idaho and were very anxious for her to come and live with them and her grandchildren and great-grandchild. I felt so much better. I asked her if she was looking forward to moving and she replied, "Yes. My husband passed away three years ago and it's time for me to move to be with my children."

We stood and chatted for about five minutes and she shared a little bit of her life with me and I knew that she had been alone, really alone for the three years that she'd been widowed. It was a lovely spring day, yet every window was tightly closed up and the home had that "needed to be aired out" odor. It was clean but it just needed fresh air. I felt she was just like that - she needed someone just to chat with for a moment or two and give her soul some fresh air...

9 comments:

Ron Simpson said...

I have always belived lonliness is what kills most widows/widowers. My great aunt Agnes died and within a year her husband Aubrey died. I could tell that losing her just took away everything he had in life. He just shuffled along from day to day until he finally gave up.
If this lady's family wants her and can make her a home and make her welcome and give her a reason to go, then she should keep on trucking for a while.

Queenie said...

Gosh, that brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad it had a happy ending. So good of you to take time to listen Grace, not a lot of people do ...

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Grace, it was wonderful that you did this, I have been on several calls and just spent time talking to them. Sometimes a little conversation can go along way with a person.

Lee Ann aka Dixie said...

Gracie,

My dad passed away this past September and we are doing everythinig we can to keep my mom busy. Mom and Dad were married for 53 years but had been together since she was 13, so they had been together a total of 56 years. This is the first time mom has ever been by herself.

I think it's great the lady's family wants her and that she is willing to go. It will be good for her.

Thank you for taking that little extra time to talk to her. I beleive she will always remember that.

Desert Songbird said...

You truly are amazing, Gracie.

Nice act of kindness.

Ken said...

How sad for that woman. Good for you for taking the time to talk with her. I'm glad she's moving to be closer to her grand and great grand kids.

Constance said...

I bet you did that for her, Gracie... Poor thing, it is hard to be without your mate, and to give up your home of 26 years...I am glad that she has children to go to that want her...

I know you are sad to move, Gracie... My empathy. And thank you for your sweet post to me yesterday. It is nice to have someone who undrestands --

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh you are such a good person honey, that's why we love you!!!

smiles, bee

Travis Cody said...

Good for you for thinking of that woman as you toured her home. So often we selfishly move through a space with our own thoughts.