IN LIFE AS IN THE DANCE : GRACE GLIDES

ON BLISTERED FEET.
---Alice Abrams

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Thursday Thirteen

THIRTEEN CRITTERS THAT HAVE LIVED IN MY HEART ....

1. My first dog, was Sam, an Irish Setter. My dad found him alone and cold, in the rain.




2. Then we got an Afghan Hound, Sherdie...






3. Johnny was my very first cat. He was an orange tabby cat.




4. Somewhere around Jr. H.S., my folks got an Airdale Terrier. My dad called her "Lizzie," in honor of the Queen of England, since the breed originated in England!




5. My grandmother gave me a beautiful white budgie, whom I promptly named "Whitey." I was not big on originality!




6. Whitey was lonely, so Georgie came home with us...




7. I had a beautiful tortoise, Tommy. He stayed with us a couple of years until my dad returned him to live with his own kind.



8. Kizzy was the neatest cat - she thought she was a dog. She loved to go for walks with us.




9. My hen, Nancy, was a white Leghorn setting hen. She showed up one day and never left. She used to go into the garage to moult. My dad would always fix her a spot so she wouldn't be cold. When she wanted me to pick her up, she'd squat and lift out her wings.

10. Spanky is my parrot, a Nanday Conure. He's the one who loves to take chunks out of my face and ears. This is not Spanky because he won't hold still long enough to get a photo this clear to show off the beautiful colors of his feathers. So, no, that isn't my hairy arm, either...




11. You've seen photos of my Shih Tzu, Katie, and our cockatiel, Spike, before. They actually snooze together. Spike will whistle and "talk" to Katie, but she hasn't learned to talk back.



12. Zoe is our faithful Mini-Schnauzer. She retrieves toys for Katie, goes with me to get the mail and newspaper, looks after the birds and has to know where we are every minute!

13. I've had all sorts of pets and have loved them all! There's one critter I'd love to have and that's a pony. Maybe some day...

Thirteen Things about Gracie
1…. Start your list here!
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



30 comments:

meh said...

Your first cat reminds me of my first cat! Doggie nrs 2 and 4 are so interesting! I'd love to have some of those! :)

damozel said...

Those are beautiful photographs and beautiful pets. I envy you for having so many different sorts. I have three cats and a hamster, but there's no room for horses or hens (I always wanted a hen).

GORGEOUS PICTURES. How beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Awww I've always wanted an Irish Setter! :)

Selena

jennyr said...

wow, pretty photos! they all look great & lovable!!! sad to say i don't have any pets even just one...maybe someday when we move in a farm. we are planning to get a horse & a dog...great list! happy TT!my tt is listed here: http://jendavid.bravejournal.com

Anonymous said...

I love this unique twist to Thursday Thirteen...and meeting all the pets in your life...I am an animal lover also but I can't say that I have had 13!!! I enjoyed the photos along with the list! I'm a very visual person ;)

Mags said...

Yowzers! You have had a lot of critters...

I love that you had a hen. That's great.

Mo and The Purries said...

That's a great list!
I had an irish setter once, too -- and I'd forgotten, I once had a parakeet. He wasn't around for long, but we had a zebra finch that was around for years & years.
Maybe one day, you'll get a pony!
(I always wanted a goat!)

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Love your list and hope you get your pony sooner than later. Pets are awesome.

Akelamalu said...

Aah, of all the pets I've loved and lost..........

Lovely pictures, lovely animals.

Fence said...

We used to have a cat who'd come for walks with our dog too. Only real problem we had was when she had kittens and I ended up taking a dog, a cat and 5 kittens out the gate and down a dangerous road before I realised and returned home.

Happy T13

Julia said...

Awww aren't they all a darling little critters! And they are beautiful took, you took the pictures very well.

I had my first dog once, his name was chocolate. He no longer with us but I still remember him as it was yesterday. Thanks for sending me back to memory lane :)

Happy T13 - Thanks for visiting my blog and have great day!

Durward Discussion said...

Beautiful animals and wonderful pictures. As a child, my turquoise parakeet had the equally original name of blue boy.

Kim Knox said...

I love red setters. Crazy dogs, LOL

Kim

Heart of Rachel said...

That's a great list. You're blessed to have so many pets in your life.

I've never had a turtle/tortoise before. When I was a young girl, I would visit our neighbor often to see his pet turtle.

I've had 6 dogs in my life: Spotty, Bunny, Bubbles, Cookie, Miko and Bruno. My Dad gave away Bubbles and Cookie to people who could take better care of them. Spotty, Bunny and Miko lived long and I have many great memories of them. Bruno is my only dog right now and he is doing really well.

We also have two lovebirds and a pet fish named Nikki.

Desert Songbird said...

Great list, Gracie! You've had an amazing variety of creatures in your life - how blessed you've been.

Shelli Stevens said...

You are definitely a pet fan! I would love a pony some day too!

Sandee said...

Gracie, wow that was great. Nothing better than walking down memory lane with all the beloved critters that have touched your heart and life. Made me cry! Thanks!

Karen Erickson said...

Aw my mom had an orange tabby and he recently passed on. He was 21!! He lived a long full life.

Liked your list - thanks for stopping by my blog!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Animals always have a special place in your heart don't they? People who do not have them will never understand that...Sandy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful TT! I use to have a special hen too - 'Miss Talkie' we called her, she was very sweet and talked to us all the time, hence her name :-)

Katie said...

I would love to have a pony too!

You have had so many pets! And they all sound wonderful!

I have two cats right now. Newt and Cloud... I caught Cloud eating bar soap this morning.

Denise Patrick said...

Great list. Your love of animals shows through. The pictures are beautiful, too.

whimsical brainpan said...

What beautiful pets! Great pics of them too.

Linda said...

You have had some beautiful pets over the years! I would imagine that you blessed to have each and every one just as they were blessed to have you!

Dayngr said...

Awesome! I'll have to do one like this soon.

Constance said...

Gracie,
I loved finding all that out about you and your pets ! Great pictures ! Maybe you will have a pony one day...

Ron Simpson said...

wow. that is quite a large collection of pets. I have had plenty of dogs, and two birds when i cas a kid. my roomate in college had an iguana that sat on my head as i played games on the computer. does that count?

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

nice pets honey! good luck with the pony though. ha ha

smiles, bee

Dean aka Sgt Dub said...

Katie's not talking, but I caught her blog at http://itsabirdslife.blgospot.com
and she's got a lot to say,
of course, I'm kidding, or am I?

Travis Cody said...

I've had cats and dogs, and a guinea pig for a couple of weeks, but I've never had birds.

Right now my 9 year old cat Mr Tucker lets me live with him.